The Florida AHEC Network offers tobacco continuing education programs to Florida’s practicing health professionals through a variety of techniques and formats.
In keeping with the Public Health Service Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: Clinical Practice Guideline – 2008 Update, the Network is effecting systems change by imparting to healthcare providers the skills necessary to treat tobacco dependence and ensure it is a top priority during patient consultations.
Continuing education topics include brief intervention training, motivational interviewing, new tobacco products, cessation techniques, pharmacotherapy, pediatric pulmonary issues related to secondhand smoke, and best practices for working with special populations, such as pregnant women and adolescents. The trainings are available to health professionals at low or no cost, and they are provided through in-person workshops, seminars, conferences, symposia, and summits, as well as through DVD, CD-ROM, and Internet.
Click on the CONTACT US tab at the top of the page to get information to contact your local AHEC Center for specific programs in your area.
AHEC NETWORK CERTIFIED TOBACCO TREATMENT SPECIALIST TRAINING
The purpose of the Tobacco Treatment Specialist Training: This 3-day course meets the 24-hour National Standards and Florida requirment for Tobacco Treatment Specialists (TTS) including the 11 core competencies: tobacco dependence, counseling skills, assessment interviewing, treatment planning, pharmacotherapy, relapse prevention, professional resources, ethics, professional development and much more.
Also being offered is a 4-hour facilitator training session on the Quit Smoking NOW (QSN) curriculum on the 4th day. This session prepares the TTS to offer the six session QSN classes in their communities. This additional session is not mandatory nor is it required for certification.
Free Online Tobacco CE/CME Training Courses!
The Florida AHEC Network is pleased to offer FREE online tobacco training courses for health professionals via the Florida Keys AHEC website. Visit www.aheceducation.com to find out more.
Click to download
- Tobacco-Free Living in Psychiatric Settings – A Best Practices Toolkit by the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (PDF) Download
- Rx for Change – Clinician-assisted tobacco cessation resources based on principles set forth in the U.S. Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline for Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence www.rxforchange.ucsf.edu/
- Quit Now Poster (13 x 19) (PDF) Download
- E-Cigarette Handout (PDF) Download
- Florida AHEC Network Tobacco Brochure (PDF) Download
- Twelve Facts to Help Dispel the Myths about Nicotine Replacement Therapies (NRTs) and Nicotine (PDF) Download
- Tobacco Treatment Chart (PDF) Download
- Cessation Counseling Services, Reimbursement and Resources Brochure (PDF) Download
For additional tobacco education & prevention resources, please be sure to refer to the “Tobacco Resources” tab as wellTweet