Florida's Area Health Education Centers
Through funding received from the State of Florida Department of Health, AHECs work in every county of the state to help reduce the use of tobacco by delivering effective evidence-based tobacco cessation services for tobacco users and training programs for health care professionals.
- Educating and Training Health Professions Students
- Offering Continuing Education to Practicing Health Professionals
- Providing Cessation Services for Tobacco Users
- Putting the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Treating Tobacco
Both programs offer education on the health effects related to tobacco use, but more importantly, they teach the benefits of quitting and what to expect when quitting. A Tobacco Cessation Specialist or trained facilitator guides participants as they identify triggers and withdrawal symptoms, and brainstorm ways to cope with them.
- Addiction, withdrawal and medications that help,
- Planning for the quit date,
- Dealing with triggers,
- Overcoming cravings
- Relapse prevention
The Single Session (one – two session) is 2-hour seminar where participants learn how to develop a successful quit plan.
Multi Session program meets once a week for six weeks. Participants offer each other support as they go through the quit process.
Both programs offer free nicotine replacement therapy (while supplies last), educational materials, goodies for their quit day, and follow-up support.