Florida AHEC Network
The Area Health Education Center (AHEC) provides free tobacco cessation services in your area. The overall goal of the AHEC Tobacco Training & Cessation Program, is to strengthen the capacity of Florida’s healthcare system to deliver effective evidence-based tobacco use treatment, and prevention services throughout the state. The Program is founded upon the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs in the following areas:
- Educating and Training Health Professions Students
- Offering Continuing Education to Practicing Health Professionals
- Providing Cessation Services for Tobacco Users
- Putting the Clinical Practice Guidelines for Treating Tobacco
Both programs offer education on the health effects related to tobacco use, but more importantly, they teach the benefits of quitting and what to expect when quitting. A Tobacco Cessation Specialist or trained facilitator guides participants as they identify triggers and withdrawal symptoms, and brainstorm ways to cope with them.
- Addiction, withdrawal and medications that help,
- Planning for the quit date,
- Dealing with triggers,
- Overcoming cravings
- Relapse prevention
The Tools to Quit program (one – two session) is 2-hour seminar where participants learn how to develop a successful quit plan.
Quit Smoking Now program meets once a week for six weeks. Participants offer each other support as they go through the quit process.
Both programs offer free nicotine replacement therapy (while supplies last), educational materials, goodies for their quit day, and follow-up support. We like to have patients referred who are ready to quit within the next 30 days.
WAYS TO QUIT
Quiting tobacco isn’t easy. Finding help should be. Tobacco Free
Florida offers free tools and services to help you get started. Just pick
the one that’s right for you and get the support you need.
Talk to a Quit Coach to help you get started
Get the support you need at one of our group quit sessions
Get access to online tools to help you quit
TIPS TO HELP YOU QUIT
- When you first try to quit, change your routine
- Get rid of ALL cigarettes and ashtrays in your home, car, or workplace
- Ask your family, friends, and coworkers for support
- Stay in nonsmoking areas
- Breathe in deeply when you feel the urge to smoke
- Keep yourself busy
- Reward yourself often
- Reduce stress
- Distract yourself from urges to smoke
- Plan something enjoyable to do every day
- Drink a lot of water and other fluids